Therapy ARC’s Training Program Consists of Five Steps
- Screening all interested volunteers and their animal teammates first meet with members of our Training Team to determine if animal assisted activities/therapy (AAA/AAT) is right for them
- Handler’s Seminar a two day “humans only” workshop focused on the “what, where and why” of AAA/AAT. Includes a 2017 ITA Therapy Team Training Manual, guest speakers from area facilities, tips from current volunteers and a mock evaluation
- Team Practicum Bring your animal for this one! This hands on portion of training lasts for one hour each on one night a week for four total weeks. Student teams role play for real life visiting situations and practice for the final evaluation
- Evaluation at the end of the four week class, teams participate in a “final exam” which determines their readiness to begin volunteering in facility settings. Upon passing the evaluation, teams register with Intermountain Therapy Animals and receive two million dollar liability insurance.
- Mentoring and Ongoing Support whenever possible, teams are given the opportunity to shadow or be accompanied by current registered teams to help them get started. Registered teams receive regular updates from facilities seeking volunteers. All Therapy ARC teams are encouraged to get involved in the organization by assisting at future classes and evaluations, helping organize volunteer events and accepting leadership roles.
Cost: There is no cost for the screening. Once accepted for the training program, the cost is $175.00 and includes all portions listed above offered by Therapy ARC, including the seminar, practicum, evaluation and mentoring options. Registering with ITA is an additional $60.00, which is good for two years.